Wednesday, February 25

Child-directed cutting exercise

My daughter initiated this project the other day and I was happy to follow along with her. She requested some of my colored paper, markers, and scissors. Her idea was to draw a window or X shape onto the full-size sheet of paper; then, follow the lines with scissors and cut through the X. I suggested she put the pieces together like a puzzle. This part was more difficult for her versus my son as her cutting skills are more advanced and her pieces were more similar in shape.
After cutting the full-size paper into quarters, she proceeded to draw another window on one of the 4 squares and cut along those lines, while directing me to do the same. She continued drawing windows and cutting squares until the smallest was less than 1/2" big.
Lastly, we got out a glue stick and glued the pieces together, starting with the biggest square and layering each smaller square on top.
Such a simple project, but so wonderful that it was her idea. It was a refreshing change to have my daughter leading me in a craft project.

7 comments:

  1. I worked as a kindergarten aid for a number of years, you would be surprised at how many kids come to kindergarten and have never seen scissors. this is a very good activity

    I enjoy your blog-very creative

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you wrote about this. I think you can have educational, artistic experiences with kids that don't necessarily end up in a really snazzy product. And, like you said, it was your daughter's idea, which is perfect.

    www.craftplayground.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am excited that she came up with this idea...another creative mind has been loosed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're a smart mom to think up this one. I teach art in grades K-6 and did an art project recently with 2nd graders. It involved cutting, and I was shocked at how many students struggled with this. Cutting well does wonders for a child's confidence!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am thrilled that she came up with this concept...another innovative thoughts has been loosed!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jual Obat Aborsi Asli | Obat Cytotec Asli | 082241083319
    jual obat aborsi pills cytotec asli manjur untuk menggugurkan kandungan usia 1 - 6 bulan gugur tuntas.CYTOTEC OBAT ASLI sangat efektif mengatasi TELAT DATANG BULANdan menjadikan anda gagal hamil , CYTOTEC adalah OBAT ABORSI 3 JAM BERHASIL GUGUR TUNTAS dengan kwalitas terbaik produk asli pfizer nomor 1 di dunia medis
    JUAL OBAT ABORSI DI BANDUNG
    JUAL OBAT ABORSI DI BEKASI
    JUAL OBAT ABORSI DI BOGOR




    ReplyDelete

  7. I’m glad that you simply shared this useful info with us

    ReplyDelete