Sunday, August 17

Rice play

This is one of those activities you have most likely seen on every blog or read in every child's activity book, but there's a good reason for that. Besides all the actual learning that can be achieved through this activity, it happens to just be fun. And it's super easy to throw together, so it's great for rainy or stressful days.
I filled two big, lidded, aluminum baking pans with rice, then hid some small toys in each. I set out some digging toys, rubbermaid dishes, and funnels. My kids enjoyed digging for the treasures repeatedly. They enjoyed scooping, filling, pouring, and then, inevitably, spilling or throwing. For some reason, I wasn't expecting as much mess as it made, but it was easy to clean up and worth the effort. I think I may transfer the rice to a bigger container that may, theoretically, reduce spills and store more easily.
For benefits of and variations on this type of play, try googling rice box, rice tables, colored rice, etc. I apologize for my laziness in not wanting to take the time to link to several of the great articles on rice play myself. Or maybe I'll just blame the Olympics.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I always thoughts it would be cool to fill a bathtub with rice and play around in it.

Is that normal?

I will miss the gymnastics after the Olympics are over. :(

Anonymous said...

Hmmm...that comment was from me. I wonder how that happened...

Anonymous said...

I still have those 2 big bags of rice I bought for when you were in Tx, but we never got around to using for play/dyeing. Unfortunately, that's not enough to fill the bathtub (which I agree sounds like fun)!

The Jerrolds Family said...

I had to do this for an activity in my recovery class for mom's w/ OCD's... Actually, I love this idea. I will try it and thank our God for my vacuum! :)

Anonymous said...

There's a rice table at my daughters' pre-school and they love it. Thanks for reminding me to make one at home!

reprehriestless warillever said...

We have a wading pool filled with rice. All four kids can play in it together. We rotate toys, but almost always have shovels, empty egg cartons, and spice bottles with the shakey top.

It is LOTS of fun, and really no so hard to clean up. Expect some to get in the baby's diaper though.....

Elizabeth said...

I like the rice idea... but have a better idea that might be easier on cleanup. It's a bean box! Read about it at: http://www.extraordinarymommy.com/enjoyarchive2.htm

I got the idea from my Parent Educator. The tablecloth is the key!

Yesterday I also filled a bin with lids for my son to play with - lids like the kind from milk jugs or Coke bottles or mayo jars. He loved it!

Jamie - Family Focused Fun said...

Fun! :) Thanks for sharing.

Lettie B. said...

WE have a rice bin too and my son loves it. to help with the mess, I put the bin on a blanket. Then I just shake the blanket outside. And don't worry, the "birds eating rice will make them blow up" thing is just a myth.

Natalia said...

my two year old will be all over this one. Thanks for sharing

Anonymous said...

We did this when the bigger kids were smaller. I bought one of those underbed rubbermaid boxes, the kind that are long enough to hold rolls of wrapping paper. It seemed to keep a lot of the mess in. Although the kids liked to be IN the box!

With the youngest now, I recently tried a smaller version of the rice box. She needs a bigger box, too.

Anonymous said...

Blue topaz ring will certainly be thpmas sabo your best option if you are intended to thomas sabo jewellery include a ring into your gemstone jewelry collection. cheap thomas sabo charms Either if you wish to wear the ring on a special occasion or thomas bracelets wear this sort of ornaments on a daily basis, silver charm carriers it is up to your account. Blue thomas sabo necklaces topaz ring can ensure you that you will attract every person.