Wednesday, January 21

Obama grahams

I have to confess, I think every celebration is enhanced with cookies. Or, rather, when I want to celebrate something but can't think of a good way to do so, cookies are an easy answer.

I watched a bit of the Inauguration coverage yesterday and explained to the kids about the new president taking office. I thought I should probably do something to make the occasion more memorable for them while educating them at the same time.
I'm not very educationally-brained, but I am cookie-brained. So today I mixed up a batch of graham crackers (throw in a bit of whole wheat while we're educating) and we started making Obama cookies. I decided to cut out the center, I don't know why, but the kids liked the hole in the middle so we went with it. Less icing that way. I wasn't too careful about mixing or applying the icing, so I ended up with something less than my ideal, but that tends to happen with small children hanging on to your legs while you're working.
Tomorrow they get to cut and decorate the second half of the batch.
I have to say, I was pleased when my husband came home and my daughter explained about the cookies representing the new president starting his job.


Oh, and before you go thinking I'm original here (like I tend to do before realizing the rest of the world has already done the same thing I'm doing) check out this Flickr pool of over 200 Obama cookies and cupcakes. (I did happen to find these after I'd made our cookies).

Unrelated: I haven't been here in a while due to preparing for, traveling to, and participating in my sister's wedding. I hope to be more regular here now that we're home, but things are always more chaotic than I anticipate. I'll be here when I can and I thank you for stopping by!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cookies to teach current events...wish my school teachers had done that. I love that B could tell daddy all about the meaning of it. You're such a cool mom! (the grahams look really neat, too)

Anonymous said...

Yes, your kids clearly have the best deal in town, school-wise.

Plus, it's sheer genius to have the hole in the middle. Really, I think you've perfected the icon. The non-hole ones in the flickr pool are so blah with no hole. You've got the eye, sister!

Miller Moments said...

I'm with you...cookies to celebrate!

Ruth Ann said...

You cookies are too cute! What a great way to celebrate! Thanks for sharing!
-Ruth Ann

Sara said...

I love them!

Pecos Blue said...

Those are great. Love your blog. Came over from the crow.

Jessica Ramey said...

how did you add the little indents? Did you have a cookie cutter or something? I think these cookies are so darn cute!

Megan said...

Jessica,
I just used a toothpick to draw the lines on the cookies and to cut out the hole. Nothing fancy!

Jessica Ramey said...

wow! they look great! thanks for the toothpick tip. :)

Anonymous said...

Please leave the political agendas for some other site. Shame