Wednesday, February 25

Child-directed cutting exercise

My daughter initiated this project the other day and I was happy to follow along with her. She requested some of my colored paper, markers, and scissors. Her idea was to draw a window or X shape onto the full-size sheet of paper; then, follow the lines with scissors and cut through the X. I suggested she put the pieces together like a puzzle. This part was more difficult for her versus my son as her cutting skills are more advanced and her pieces were more similar in shape.
After cutting the full-size paper into quarters, she proceeded to draw another window on one of the 4 squares and cut along those lines, while directing me to do the same. She continued drawing windows and cutting squares until the smallest was less than 1/2" big.
Lastly, we got out a glue stick and glued the pieces together, starting with the biggest square and layering each smaller square on top.
Such a simple project, but so wonderful that it was her idea. It was a refreshing change to have my daughter leading me in a craft project.

6 comments:

kayerj said...

I worked as a kindergarten aid for a number of years, you would be surprised at how many kids come to kindergarten and have never seen scissors. this is a very good activity

I enjoy your blog-very creative

Anonymous said...

I love that you wrote about this. I think you can have educational, artistic experiences with kids that don't necessarily end up in a really snazzy product. And, like you said, it was your daughter's idea, which is perfect.

www.craftplayground.com

Anonymous said...

I am excited that she came up with this idea...another creative mind has been loosed!

Patty Palmer said...

You're a smart mom to think up this one. I teach art in grades K-6 and did an art project recently with 2nd graders. It involved cutting, and I was shocked at how many students struggled with this. Cutting well does wonders for a child's confidence!

vender oro said...

I am thrilled that she came up with this concept...another innovative thoughts has been loosed!

apotik 24 jam said...

Jual Obat Aborsi Asli | Obat Cytotec Asli | 082241083319
jual obat aborsi pills cytotec asli manjur untuk menggugurkan kandungan usia 1 - 6 bulan gugur tuntas.CYTOTEC OBAT ASLI sangat efektif mengatasi TELAT DATANG BULANdan menjadikan anda gagal hamil , CYTOTEC adalah OBAT ABORSI 3 JAM BERHASIL GUGUR TUNTAS dengan kwalitas terbaik produk asli pfizer nomor 1 di dunia medis
JUAL OBAT ABORSI DI BANDUNG
JUAL OBAT ABORSI DI BEKASI
JUAL OBAT ABORSI DI BOGOR