No doubt many of you have seen or participated in the Works For Me Wednesday carnival, previously hosted by Rocks In My Dryer and now hosted by We Are THAT Family. It's a great place for tips on parenting, cooking, teaching, organizing, and running your household. Maybe one day I'll participate.
For now, I'm interested in commiserating with you on those days when nothing works for you. Those days when...
- you can't see one inch of kitchen counter or stove top for all the dirty dishes.
- you dress 3 times, while running late for a meeting, because each new shirt or pair of pants surprises you with a nasty stain you hadn't previously noticed.
- your son pours a cupful of popcorn kernels all over the living room.
- you can't seem to keep the baby off the dining room table or out of the windowsill.
- you get all the kids ready to go, down the stairs, and strapped into the car before noticing two of your tires have been slashed.
- you realize late into the evening that all you had for dinner was half a bag of chocolate chips.
- your children tear the linens off a bed, rip open the mattress and begin pulling out the contents.
- you steer the shopping cart too close to a large snow globe, allowing your baby the opportunity to send it crashing to the floor, where it shatters and spills across the aisle.
- for the 1000th time this winter, your children refuse to dress, then struggle down 3 flights of stairs shoeless and coatless, screaming.
- you realize how much extra money you spent on unintentional purchases (items thrown into the cart without your knowledge).
- you sit the kids in front of the tv for a few minutes alone in the shower, only to discover that it's fundraiser week on PBS and Sesame Street isn't on.
- you leave the newly cooked pot of chili on the stove overnight.
- your children manage to collapse the crib tent, pull off a poopy diaper, smear the contents all over the crib rails, the linens, the collapsed tent, the carpet, some books, then run some toys through it, caking them with poop.
- you find the bag of soiled linens from poop-smearing incident months later, neglected in a corner, never washed.
Update: No, these things did not happen to us all on the same day! But, yes, they have all happened in our home.