Friday, November 16

Coffee Birds

I thought it would be fun to post on a few of my favorite things. Pretty, old (I guess the hip word is "vintage") nostalgic things are inspiring to me and perhaps fun for someone else to see or remember.
These are my Coffee Birds. My grandmother had a set of these (there are 6) when I was a kid and I remember my sister and I drinking chocolate milk from them. We really loved the cups. According to my mom, my sister and I christened them "coffee birds" (since we saw my grandmother drink her coffee from them) and would ask for them as such for our beverages.
I don't know what happened to her set after junior high or so, but somehow they were out of sight for several years. (Actually, I think they flew away during a move to a different house).
Then, my husband and I happened upon some at an antique store in Wisconsin and I had to have them! They were very cheap; I'm sure they're not worth much at all. I've seen a few more in shops since then and always have a hard time passing them up.
I would be interested to know when they were made and where they came from, but not enough so that I've bothered to research it. They were probably a "dime store" find or something equally insignificant, but nostalgia is great for making something seem really valuable.
I love my coffee birds!

4 comments:

Jessica Jones said...

I love those, Megan. Your apartment is so full of treasures you could post a different photo every day and never run out.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Jess! You've collected the sort of treasures that make people want to stop & look more closely. That is what (in my humble opinion) gives a home personality.

Grandma G said...

Hi Megan,

Looking at all your stuff makes me miss my wonderful grandma! All you need now is a set of bright-colored tin (aluminum? not sure) drinking glasses (maybe you already have some?) filled with raspberry Kool-aid, and I'd be 10 years old again! ;-)

I'm looking forward to seeing more. And Best Wishes on getting going with your blog and Etsy shop!

Jess's mom

P.S. I think your logo and header are great, too. ;-)

P.P.S. I'll never forget the yummy cake you made for Jess's big birthday party! Mmmmmmm!!!

Megan said...

Hi Jess's Mom! Thanks for visiting! I enjoy reading your comments on Jess's blog, too.
One of my grandmothers did have those aluminum cups and I've always wanted some. I've never found a set to suit my taste in color at a price to fit my budget, though.
I can't believe you remember the cake!