Sunday, December 2

Ode to the Butternut Squash

One thing I love about this season is the food. I love picking, eating, cooking and baking with apples, pears, cranberries, pumpkin, pecans, squash, sweet potatoes, clementine oranges, etc. etc. I love that some of the squash and potatoes are versatile enough to be a savory side or main dish or a sweet dessert and that there are a million different ways to fix them. That's probably why I pick up some squash every time I'm at the grocery store. No matter how many varieties they have, though, I almost always end up with the butternut squash.

Of all squashes, the butternut's my fave.
I gladly succumb to the kitchen as slave,
Fixing gratins and soups
and souffles for the troops,
About which all their delighted tongues rave.

I'm certainly more in touch with the culinary side of squash than the literary. Here are some of my favorite ways to fix it that I'm sure you'll want to try.
(While finding these recipe links, I came across so many other delicious-sounding ones, that I'm glad I bought two squashes at the store today!)

Roasted Butternut Squash, Rosemary, and Garlic Lasagna
Shrimp and Butternut Squash in Coconut Milk Broth
Herbed Butternut Squash-Apple Soup
Butternut Squash Gratin

Enjoy!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ohhhhhhhh, man. Butternut squash ROCKS!!!

Anonymous said...

That comment was from me, by the way.