Wednesday, April 23

I love strawberries


I LOVE strawberries. Mainly, eating them. But they also happen to be my favorite color and sometimes the subject in vintage kitchenware, which I also love. We got a delicious box of strawberries from the store yesterday (above) and I am reminded that it's time to research the local fruit-picking schedules. If you've never picked your own fruit fresh from the orchard, you need to try it! As a family, we've been picking blueberries and apples for the last few years and have also picked blackberries, peaches, and cherries. Somehow the strawberry-picking has not worked with our schedule, but I'll try again this year. For you-pick orchards, I always check the Pick Your Own site and this one (which is limited to just a few Midwest states). You can also check your state's Chamber of Commerce or tourism site.

Here is an old family favorite strawberry pie recipe:

Bake your favorite pie crust and allow it to cool.
Fill with fresh, washed, cut or whole strawberries.
Make filling:
1 c sugar
1 c water
2 Tbs cornstarch
1 small pkg strawberry or raspberry jello

Mix sugar, water and cornstarch in a pan. Heat until boiling and thickened. Remove from heat and stir in jello. Pour over berries in crust. Refrigerate until set. Top individual pieces with whipped cream, if desired.
(This is also great for fresh blueberry pie!)

Update: Oh yeah, makes a great peach pie, as well.
And we did get to pick strawberries
this year, with a blackberry bonus!
See blueberries here.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's also delicious with fresh peaches & peach jello. Whatever flavor you choose to make, make two; they don't last long!

Jodie said...

I love those cute strawberry salt and pepper shakers!!! Where on earth did you find those??

Jodie :)

Grandma G said...

This is very similar to the recipe I always use... yes, YUMMY! I never thought of using it with other fruits, though!

Megan said...

Jodie,
I am sure I found them at some kind of antique market, but can't remember exactly where or when.

Anonymous said...

How many strawberries? One pound? Sounds delish!

Megan said...

Andee,
You know, I have no idea. If you cut them up, you can squeeze more in, which I like. I usually buy at least a couple pounds to make sure I have enough to fill my pretty deep crust and then if there are any left, we eat them plain.
Megan

This Girl loves to Talk said...

I have made your pie twice now.. thanks for posting it.. strawberries are cheap and in season in Australia at the moment...

I have had this pie a few times made by some american friends.. they have since moved.. so thanks for giving me a trip down memory lane :)