Thursday, June 19

Mobiles




I made a mobile. This is the first mobile I have ever made that I can remember. I wanted to go ahead and post pictures even though it's dark and stormy today, so I may be back with better pics later.
I used a combination of new and used materials. Everything hangs from a flea market yardstick, cut in three pieces. I drilled tiny holes to install screw eyes for stringing up the objects. The objects include: buttons from my mom's stash, twigs (some painted), tin can lids, plastic milk caps, rocks, washers, shapes molded from Sculpey (which we've enjoyed using in the past), cardboard roll flowers, drinking straws, cardboard food packaging, and other random plastic packaging.
The challenging part now will be finding a place to hang it!

If you're interested in constructing a mobile, here are a few places to look for inspiration:
Found object mobile at Bookhou Craft Projects.
Fabric bird and branch mobile at Spool.
Felt and wire mobile at Soozs.
Modern baby shower mobile (doesn't really have anything to do with babies, just bright-colored circles) and Ribbon mobile at Martha Stewart.

11 comments:

kirsten said...

so so great!

mayaluna said...

wow! wow! wow! thanks for all the mobile links...and yours is just spectacular! photos and mobiles are so tricky...i think you did a great job capturing it!

Bec said...

This is FANTASTIC!

Things Hand Made said...

I love your mobile, with the holidays coming soon I am going to add that to my list for the children. Thanks

Cami said...

How sweet and fun! I love mobiles and I made one, too. I don't have a picture, but it's all origami butterflies. Yours is so geometric and expressive. Good job!!

Maggie Ann said...

I fell in love with your cheerful mobile and had to make one too. Thanks for sharing the how-to's. I just posted pictures of mine tonight if you'd like to come see. =)

Melissa said...

This is beautiful! I love how the yellow yardstick pops!

jek-a-go-go said...

how did i miss this? it is awesome!

Megan said...

Thanks!

Stacy@{share and remember} said...

This is adorable & super creative. Love it!

upcoming cell phones said...

Thanks for providing such useful information. I really appreciate your professional approach.